Thursday, August 20, 2015

Burning Roses


Burning Roses

They are burning flowers in Russia.  In what is suspected as a retaliatory act against the Dutch for their investigation into the downing of a Malaysian airliner over rebel-held east Ukraine in July last year, Russia has ordered all flowers shipped from the Netherlands to be burned.  Television cameras captured workers burning boxes and boxes of freshly cut roses.    To me, this seems all too appropriate a metaphor for the world today.  Of course I always tend to veer into melancholy during an election season, something that seems a greater problem these days when election season lasts much longer than a mere season, stretching now from spring into winter, winter to fall.

Here in the states at present, politics has become comedy led by a megalomaniacal buffoon who draws the sort of television ratings comedians can only dream of achieving in a lifetime.  It is embarrassing in the extreme.  He is unencumbered by reality, a fact his emphatically stated opinions nakedly reveal, and qualities such as empathy and compassion are merely euphemisms for losers within his gilded world.  Such a blowhard is best ignored, just as our mothers instructed us to do with any schoolyard bully, but when he leads in the republican polls, as he sadly does at present, it is difficult to look away.  As I said, it’s embarrassing.

You can easily look up his pronouncements for yourself, but I’m taking issue with one in particular because it’s bothered me on many levels beyond it’s obvious stupidity.  This past weekend while, inexplicably, commenting on the former model, Heidi Klum, this “candidate” declared her to be, “Sadly, no longer a 10.”.  Now, let us leave aside the vacant validity of this declaration - Ms. Klum is a gorgeous human being, as anyone can easily see.  And I suppose for a man whose sideline is the ludicrous Miss Universe pageant, one should not expect a higher level of discourse.  But when, oh when, will we manage to stop allowing women - fascinating, intelligent women - to be evaluated by their appearance alone?  Will it ever stop?  And if you think this weekend’s comments were an anomaly, think for a moment on how much we’ve already heard regarding Hillary Clinton’s hairstyles and pantsuits.  

If this were just one comment from one knuckle-dragging glacier dweller, then fine.  But it isn’t.  Face it, this attitude has managed to weave an insidious thread throughout our culture so expertly that we women are often guilty of the sins of comparison and judgment ourselves.  Is there one of us who hasn’t felt just a wee bit “less than” when flipping through the pages of Vogue?  Or been tickled by the tentacles of schadenfreude when a famous beauty puts on a few pounds? Rather like burning roses, I think.

Just yesterday, I came across a new project by photographer Peter Freed.  Entitled, Prime, it is a book of essays and portraits of women.  A bouquet of glorious women, from ages 35 to 104.  Completely funded through a successful Kickstarter campaign, the book is now being printed and should be out soon.  Will it change society?  Probably not.  But it’s a start.  And I would send a copy to the aforementioned “candidate” if I only thought he could read.



15 comments:

  1. Most of my friends are die hard Republicans, and I haven't had the chance to ask what they think of Trump as they are defensive of their party. I can not imagine anyone seriously thinking of voting for him, so, my only explanation is that people are tired of Washington politics and ready to accept something new, though Trump? A new direction in politics, yes, but Trump????OMG. Heil Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dumpster will just pay someone to read this book to him. What is shocking to me is how vulgar, hateful and spiteful he is, and how clearly he expresses the Republican party platform in a way they have successfully avoided for years through their carefully-worded public relations doublespeak. Disturbing, yet I am glad he is bringing clarity to something long-hidden and truly vile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Donna, above reader, most of our friends are Republicans and even they dismiss his lack of finesse as someone who will clearly not win the election. I wish I were confident that is the case. I feel like it would be not only embarrassing but dangerous for America if he were to somehow win the nomination. If, as your other reader declares, he is only speaking what others feel, then I worry that there are a lot of hateful people in the U.S. and that saddens me. thank you for opening the door to this discussion, however, I am so tired of the coverage that I may opt out of discussion until sometime next summer when there is a clear understanding of who is left standing.
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on this one. Ai yiyi.

    Also check out Ari Seth Cohen. His blog Advanced Style is amazingly wonderful, and I think his photos are of people 60+.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great comparison to burning flowers. Compassion, empathy, altruism, loving kindness - so many roses consumed in the flames. One of the things that stands out to me is that he is praised for his 'authenticity.' I can't think of a less authentic person, except perhaps as a genuine narcissist. You can google what it means to be a highly authentic person. This he is not. And as for judging women solely on looks alone (and whether they play 'nice'), well, can't even . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...too much vitriol for me...I'll come back another time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen. In full agreement. Love the burning roses comparison...and that you brought it back it to ourselves. Trump is, in my opinion, the glaring extreme of, as you said so well, our own shadowed tendency to inwardly evaluate So unfairly. Great scheudenfraude line! Bravo, Pam, for being so clear and making the powerful connection between the roses and the beauty this circustomer harms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our politicians are not much better Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear....our country is really in trouble if even some of your readers seem to agree with Trump's views. I loved your piece, Pamela, and admire your bravery in speaking your truth and mine too, for that matter. Politics is a messy business and many of our politicians are no better than Trump, but can you even imagine him as our president?? A man like that representing our country?? How embarrassing and truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This hits close to home as I am now over 60 and used to be compared to a famous actress! ( no longer) It is a great thing to honor and give dignity to women in their prime. As for that certain candidate, an embarrassment indeed!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a conservative, a woman, and a human, I find this candidate to be thoroughly despicable in every way. I rate him a -10. We can only hope that he implodes under the sheer weight of his own idiocy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this thoughtful and timely post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written, particularly your spot on comments regarding Donald Trump.
    I have to believe that our country and its sane, intelligent voters will rise above this verbal rubbish and the man behind it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!