Friday, December 5, 2014

Christmas Book Shopping For The Ones Who Love to Cook... Part II


Books for Your Niece
She cooked you breakfast in bed when she was only six and you still have never had a more delicious omelet.  We all thought she’d go on to culinary school, but she’s interested in so many things, to choose only one path now seem limiting.  Who knows what she’ll do?  It’s a great big world out there.  For now, we just enjoy the fruits of her labors in the kitchen and marvel at her enthusiasm on topics as wide-ranging as fractals and existentialist poetry.  Here are some new books that will inspire, entertain, challenge and enlighten her. For all the many imaginative sides of your talented niece.  Or for any creative cook in your life.

Fictitious Dishes
by Dinah Fried

The Art of Eating
by M.F.K. Fisher

Roast Figs Sugar Snow
by Diana Henry

Provence, 1970
M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard
and the Reinvention of American Taste
by Luke Barr

Home Cooking
A Writer in the Kitchen
by Laurie Colwin

The Baking Bible
by Rose Levy Beranbaum

Dominique Ansel
The Secret Recipes
forward by Daniel Boulud

Macarons
The Recipes
by Laduree

More coming......

10 comments:

  1. This book round up is super and I admire the writing of Laurie Colwin so that book especially captures my fancy. If you leave a comment on my blog you are eligible to win a copy of the Christmas book I co-authored, which brings readers smiles and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your book theme gift posts (here and below), tailored for the reader. I might have to check out that macaroon book for my teenaged daughter who misses France, especially eating macaroons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books would be entertaining to anyone interested in food. I'm very curious about the Provence 1970. Julia Child had such a profound impact on my newlywed cooking sensibilities, it would be interesting to read more about that period.
    I'm hoping Part III will be for the little ones. :-)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela several very good suggestions here! Thank you!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I had more space for books - I'd love several of these. I purged my cook books recently - gave a pile to my oldest granddaughter who loves to cook and will be married after Christmas! She requested Le Creuset (in the color Rosemary) cookware as gifts - we obliged because we know she'll use and love them for ever and ever. . . . . . and her lovely English husband-to-be will be always well fed!

    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Laurie Colwin. She was the biggest influence in my cooking life. Also love Diana Henry's beautiful book as it has a number of recipes and photos from my native Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of Laurie Colwin's cookbooks are favorites of mine, well worn and food spotted. Her novels led me to these cookbooks and I dearly wish she could have lived to write many more. I only have a few of the M.F.K. Fisher books as the others were from the library but still remain wowed by her practical view of cooking.

    I've got to try the Fictitious Dishes! And I love the picture of the niece, love what young chefs are creating in the kitchen today. They inspire me and so does this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have ONE Of those books sitting here ready to read!They all look MARVELOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drooling over the look of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suggestion for another book: "Fannie's Last Supper" by Chris Kimball (America's Test Kitchen). A wonderful, wonderful combination of cooking info, recipes, photos and food history. PBS did a special (also titled Fannie's Last Supper) which if possible is even more entertaining than the book, which details the intricate and fascinating processes and ingredients provenances of a fabulous late-Victorian era dinner party, which Mr. Kimball re-created from the famous Fannie Farmer (Boston Cooking School) cookbooks. Hint: the "processes" also included the installation and use of a wood fired stove/oven combination in Mr. Kimball's Boston brownstone!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!