Saturday, June 28, 2014

On An Ordinary Night


On An Ordinary Night

It was an ordinary night, even the most imaginative of souls could have only described it as such.  There were no extremes of weather; no clattering of rain on the roof; no wild wind to disturb the nests of baby robins asleep in the holly bushes beneath the darkened windows.  The crescent moon, thin as an eyelash, could only muster a watery light that struggled, and failed, to pierce the heavy air.   It was quiet, save for the hooting of the owl in the bottom of the garden, who is such a regular visitor that his calls are hardly to be taken for omens of any portent.  The minutes ticked by in quotidian fashion, as if even  time itself expected nothing unusual to occur on this, a most ordinary of ordinary nights.

The Songwriter was out of town and, as usual, Edward had been more than happy to take his place next to me in bed.  I had drifted off to the sound of the big dog’s steady breathing and was now tucked deep inside a dreamless sleep.  Way past midnight, yet long before dawn, I sensed someone trying to wake me up.  Though inaudible, someone was calling my name as loud as a bell.   Opening my eyes, I found myself nose to nose with Edward.  His big head nudged my side.  Then he pawed at my shoulder.  Then he turned round and round and flopped down on the bed with his head on my tummy.  Then, jumping up, he began to paw at me again, insistent, persistent,  and obviously worried.  

Sitting up in bed, I tried to ascertain what was wrong but nothing I could say or do seemed to calm him.  Then, suddenly, what only can be described as a strong gust of wind blew past me - a warm wind, forceful enough to ruffle my hair. The very second after this happened Edward turned, lay down at the foot of the bed, sighed a contented sigh and went right back to sleep, leaving me sitting up with my mind, quite naturally, awhirl.  There was no window open; nothing that could have logically caused a gust of warm wind.  What had just happened?

Relating this story to several people has been entertaining as I’ve watched their eyes grow wider and wider and heard wildly varying possibilities as to the nature of my experience.    Suffice it to say, all who have heard my account have expressed more that a bit of fright.  But I can honestly say that I felt no fear, indeed I went right back to sleep along with Edward.  

But I do admit to wondering what it could have been,
 and Edward’s not talking.
So, any ideas?

Painting above by Konstantin Kalynovych

24 comments:

  1. Do you have sleep apnea? Maybe for a moment Edward noticed you stopped breathing, and, once it was clear you were okay, he could go back to sleep. (This is not a serious suggestion, though. I just couldn't resist your invitation to come up with an explanation. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela, This is the first time I've ever commented on your blog although I've been a fan of it for some time. It is so enjoyable reading what you write. Anyway, I can only guess what the gust of wind might have been. Something similar has happened to me, but instead of wind it was a white fluffy cloud. I woke up suddenly after a sound nights sleep and watched a cloud breeze across my room. It didn't scare me and at that point I was wondering who it was that was gifting me with their presence. I do believe in other worldly things and such so perhaps it was someone checking in on you. There's more to life than this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever/whatever it was, was perchance taking advantage of the cover of night to make sure you and Edward were okay while the Songwriter was away. Edward, however, is probably a lighter sleeper than you, and unfamiliar with such nighttime visits, was a bit concerned about the heretofore unknown visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it was your mother, checking on you as you slept, as mothers tend to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think is was the Spirit of a loved one sending you a message that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say your story kept me in suspense. Perhaps possible it was all a dream? I do believe in spirits with first hand experience and quite possibly it was your mother who was just gently tucking you in. For some unbeknownst reason animals can see what we can't, as did Edward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, the holographic universe may be unfathomable but hardly unbelievable. I love your "report" ---- not a dream, I'm sure. I have a story of my own from

    many decades ago........... a country villa outside of Florence and operatic singing in the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do tell! I told my mother when I was 10 years old....."Granny came last night"! (she was in the hospital)"I couldn't see her, but I know it was her! I could tell!"

      My beloved Granny had died that night. She is still with me. Lucky to have that big doggie there! Someone is right! He didn't want you to miss your visit!

      Delete
  8. Animals are known for seeing and sensing spirits. Aren't dogs just the most wonderful creatures? One should never disregard any message they're relaying. I read a book recently that said animals are the only living things on earth that are devoid of evil and unaware of their mortality. They deserve such respect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A spooky explanation might be in line with my listening to George Noory on Coast to Coast radio, and he interviews experts on all manner of "night visitors." You were safe with your big dog to protect you, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps a bat or bird had somehow entered your home earlier and Edward was telling you it was there in the room. A draft caused by flight to another location? Search the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got the sense as I read what happened that night that Edward was trying to alert you in this fashion: "wake up....wake up....they (he/she) are coming....you don't want to miss this....wake up!" He succeeded in rousing you, you experienced the visitation, and then afterward, the both of you slept the sleep of the blessed. I love this! Amazing and completely unforgettable.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pamela, you have heard of the phrase "passing wind". Edward is a BIG guy! Perhaps he had gas and in his discomfort he was anxious and frustrated and was trying to let you know he needed to go outside. His turning and flopping about caused his blockage to release,.... Thus the the mini hurricane and the big sigh of relief! I do prefer the more romantic explanations to the ordinary, but couldn't resist this chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I have been absent of late, I have had a few problems and the garden has taken a lot of upkeep. I read this post with interest as just recently I have experienced not a wind as such but a breeze blow around and past me on a few occasions (indoors). Although I am used to 'odd' things happening, I have never experienced a breeze before, only a gentle touch or a stroke but I took the breezes to be a spirit's presence. I think your wind may have been your mother checking in on you as you were without the Songwriter. Dogs are very alert to the presence of spirits, I have experienced that too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hardly dare to contemplate what it might have been Pamela - suffice to say that whether it was supernatural or whether if was aa fact of nature, that big chap close at hand made the whole thing alright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I choose to believe it was a loved one, long past, checking in to make sure you were okay since the songwriter was out of town. What a warm, fuzzy feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too, believe it was a loved one..And when you felt the warm breeze, such as it was, the "spirit" left you and Edward, and that is why Edward felt it was okay, to go back to sleep. I love hearing stories like this, and think you are so lucky to have had this happen, to you, and to remember it so clearly....Somebody loved you very much and still does.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stories PON owners could tell.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pamela, This is where the dogs have more understanding than we do. Something happened. Try being silent and the mind quiet for a few minutes from time to time to see what comes your way. The peacefulness you experienced that night I am confident will find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AH, you caught the dreamer in me Pamela and the Irish. The possibilites are endless..fascinating ones. I think something very special happened…you would know it by the feeling. I think there is a story to be told from the point where you woke up. The beginning of a novel perhaps? It's all there.. and if anyone can weave magic in words..you can. xx

    PS..still smiling over the "twee" vs "tres chic". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is more between heaven and earth..my dear friend Pamela..xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!